Recently I’ve noticed I am not sleeping well at night.
Usually, I’m like a baby (sue me) and I’ve always found it quite easy to go to sleep. So much so, that during a mutual friends hen party, Ally from Digital Diva decided to sweep her revenge (for me giving her a cold) by insisting on sharing a room and keep me up all night. Apparently, within one min of me getting into bed, I was out like a light and Ally’s revenge was never fulfilled.
Now her plan for no sleep maybe happening now, though I feel it’s not an attack from her. I truly believe that my body is rejected my constant working life and it’s taking a toll on my sleeping time. There is a lot of waking up in the night confused and very tired. I’m also noticing that it’s taking me a lot longer to drift off. I don’t think it has anything to do with the last min laptop work, email checking or Instagram scrolling I do late at night….
Let’s face it, we all need to be sleeping better.
The Tired Generation
Looking into this further, I’m not the only late- twenties millennial who’s finding it hard to switch off. According to research, we are a whole new generation who are having sleeping problems. A number of factors have contributed to this, from being told we can have it all to embracing our anxieties more than our previous generation, we ‘snowflakes’ have a lot going on and a lot to deal with before lights out.
But enough is enough. I for one am fed up of not being able to sleep like a baby. I’ve got too much to do the next day to feel tired and groggy. I want to start sleeping better and if you are reading this, so are you.
Luckily, Neom Organics feels the same way. On 28th September, Neom is hosting The Neom Big Sleep, where those who take part will be kicking the zzzzzzz out of sleep. As part of their campaign, they are doing Sleep School in their flagship stores (including my local one in Leeds) and tailored kicks full of products that will help you get a better night sleep.
The key is to ensure you have a great routine before bedtime. If you do anything for the rest of the month, I would concentrate on getting a routine down in the evening. A few simple changes that will allow you to have some great hours of sleep. Small steps are the ideal way to being better at sleeping.
Let’s Get Better at Sleeping
- First things first, get rid of the electronics where possible. For me, I do not have a TV in the bedroom and I’ve made a habit of not looking at my phone once I get into bed. Did you know it takes 20 minutes for your brain to turn off from looking at a screen? So when you’re trying to drift off and think ‘oh, I’ll have a quick glance on Instagram’. Bam, you’ve added an extra 20 minutes to your brain trying to switch off.
- Have downtime. Winding yourself down to sleep is the ideal way to get your body ready. This can be with a bath, ready a book, whatever will switch your brain off. I like to light my Neom Tranquility Scented Candle for at least 30 minutes before going to sleep so the whole bedroom is filled with the gorgeous scent. The candle is scented with English lavender, sweet basil, jasmine plus 16 other essential oils. Combined with Neom Perfect Night’s Sleep Pillow Mist which I spray all over our pillows, our bedroom is a tranquil heaven!
- Keep your bedroom for sleeping. I’m guilty of doing this, just pulling my laptop onto my lap while I’m sat on the bead. I’ve been trying to keep my laptop out of my bedroom so I am not tempted to do any blogging in there. This along with tech banned is the most important things to do to ensure a good night sleep.
- Set your bedtime and wakeup-time. We all know going to bed at a sensible time is important to sleeping better but waking up at roughly the same time every day is just as important. I wake up at 7:00 am for work every weekday but I always ensure that on the weekends that I’m up between 7:30 am- 8:00 am. That’s my lie-in and it allows me to keep my body clock in check.
- Prep your skin at night. Not only will your skin thank you for it, it’s a great way to unwind your mind and be completely relaxed before bed. Plus, your skin is going to thank you for it. I love using Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Lotion because it is so nourishing to my dry skin. I’ve also got into the habit of using the Neom Tranquility Hand Lotion, not only to soften my hands (I am so bad at ensuring my hands are moisturised) but I also put it on my pressure points to help me relax and sleep better.
- Track your sleep to find any patterns. I know you’re going to say this goes against the technology in the room, but if you can resist the temptation to look at the gram, using the latest apps to track your sleep can be really educational as to how you sleep and if you can discover any patterns that affect your sleep. I love using the Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock App. You tell it the latest time you need to wake up and it will track your sleep during the night and will wake you up in your lightest sleep stage so you will feel more awake. Plus, when I get a really good quality score- I feel like such a good student of sleep!
Don’t forget to sign up to kicking the zzzzzzzz out of sleep on 28 September. You can purchase the Neom Essential Sleep Kit here on the website. Also, for every spend of £60.00 during September, you can get a free Perfect Night Sleep Kit- what’s not to love about that? I’ll see you all in your PJs on 28 September- don’t forget to use the hashtag #NeomBigSleep to show you are participating!
What are your tips for a good night sleep? Read more of my beauty posts here on my blog.
All Neom Organic products were gifted to me, but my hints, tips & opinions are my own!